As a parent, I sometimes wonder how often our children are preserved from harm without our even realizing or acknowledging it.
Yesterday my 5 year old swallowed a hard candy and actually started choking on it. I must admit I panicked a little bit as he had his hands up near his throat, started jerking, and I heard a faint “I’m choking.” I knew enough to understand that if he could say anything he wasn’t completely out of air, but I also knew that this kid wouldn’t whisper the word “choking” just for fun. I didn’t want to use any drastic measures if he could still get some air in, but he had a look of sheer terror on his face and was definitely having some difficulty breathing. Fortunately his gag reflex was alive and well and he also looked like he was trying to throw up. I brought him over to the sink and told him to go ahead and try to throw up. He started to turn pale, then suddenly out popped a life saver candy he had stolen from his sister. Thank goodness for gag reflexes! I suspect that for a while he was only breathing through the hole in the middle of the candy, which was also a blessing. First thing he said is “I won’t do that again!”
I was a little extra on edge because I had just heard about a local 10 year old who had a peanut allergy, and had accidentally eaten something with peanut oil in it. The parents had to make the decision to take him off of life support and he had not made it. One day he was running in the local track meet, the next day he was gone. It can be that quick. I’m so glad it was not my turn to go through that.