I have had a rare opportunity to learn about the person my daughter is. As she has been in and out of consciousness, she had done a lot of talking in her sleep, moving in her sleep, and even more than her fair share of delusions and hallucinations. What do you think would come out if you spent weeks in this state? Here is what I learned about my special girl.
- She likes Christmas time, but thinks we don’t eat enough candy canes.
- She thinks her siblings need to be more reverent during Family Home Evening.
- She believes in Joseph Smith, and thinks reading good books is important.
- She even remembers to do her hand and foot stretches for physical therapy while she is unconscious. She has a very obedient spirit.
- She likes to sing.
- She has frequently spoken up when a nurse has put the TV on for some background noise, thinking she is asleep, and informed them if she thinks it is inappropriate. One night she was having trouble staying awake, so a well intentioned nurse put on a TV show that her child of the same age loves watching. She was surprised when Katie woke up long enough to stammer out the word – “raunchy.” The nurse immediately realized she was talking about the TV show, and changed the channel. Then she started telling all the other nurses how impressed she was with Katie. She too was aware that the show was inappropriate and started talking about how she wished her kid wouldn’t watch it either.
So proud of Katie. I think she will have the strength to do what she knows is right no matter the situation, because these are the things that are really inside her.